American Association for Higher Education, 1997-2005.
American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2005-2011.
American Library Association (ALA), 1974-1975, 1977-Present.
Current Member of the Following Divisions of ALA:
- Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL)
- Library and Information Technology Association (LITA)
- Reference and User Services Association (RUSA)
- Resources & Technical Services Division (RTSD) RTSD name changed in 1989 to: Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS)
- Library Research Roundtable (LRRT)
- ALA — Member, Committee on Accreditation, 2007-2011. Chair, 2009-2011.
- ALA Advocacy Coordinating Group — Member, 2010-2011.
- ALA Council — Florida Representative, 2005-2008.
- ALA — Member, Planning and Budget Assembly, 2009-2011, 1995.
- ALA — Member, Round Table Coordinating Committee, 1994-1996.
- ALA — Member, Research and Statistics Assembly, 1991-1993.
- ALA ACRL — Chair, Academic/Research Librarian of the Year Award Committee, 1997-1998. Chair of ACRL Research Committee, 1991-1993; Member of Research Committee, 1989-1991. Liaison to Library Research Round Table for June 1990 program. Subcommittee for program in Atlanta in 1991. Mentor in Electronic Mentoring Project, 1991-1993. Intern member of Academic Status Committee, 1985-1986.
- ALA LRRT — Member-at-Large, 2003-2006; 1992-1994. Secretary/Treasurer, 1994-1996. Nominating Committee, 2003. Co-Chair, Doctoral Student Forum, 2005-2006.
- ALA LITA LSSI/OCLC Minority Scholarship Subcommittee, 1995.
- ALA JMRT Cognotes Committee — reporter at 1978 ALA convention in Chicago and Cognotes distributor.
- ALA RTSD Council of Regional Groups (CRG) — Alabama representative, 1981-1983. Participant in the Electronic Mail Project of ALA RTSD CRG, 1981-1982. Southeastern Library Association, Resources & Technical Services Section Representative 1986-1988.
- ALA RUSA CODES Notable Book Council — 2014-2016
Alabama Library Association (ALLA, AlaLA), 1974-Present.
- AlaLA Executive Council, 1989-1990.
- AlaLA Planning Committee, 1989-1990.
- AlaLA Certification and Standards Committee, April 1992-1993.
- AlaLA Budget & Finance Committee, 1989-1990.
- AlaLA Local Arrangements Chairman for 1979 State Convention.
- AlaLA Convention Committee 1979-1980, 1982-1983.
- AlaLA Alabama Library Role of Honor Committee 1985-1988, Chair, 1987-1988.
- AlaLA Committee on Committees, 1988-1989.
- AlaLA Handbook Committee 1978-1979.
- AlaLA Publications Committee 1986-1987.
- AlaLA College, University, and Special Libraries (CUS).
- CUS Chair, 1989-1990.
- CUS Chair-Elect, 1988-1989.
- CUS Executive Board, 1986-1991.
- CUS Research Committee Chair, 1986-1988. Began annual Research Paper Session with cash awards from Blackwell North America and EBSCO.
- CUS Chair, Nominating Committee, 1990-1991.
- CUS Ad Hoc Committee for a Monographic History of Alabama Academic Libraries, Co-Chair, 1987-1989.
- CUS Special Projects Committee, 1978-1979
- AlaLA Collection Development Roundtable (CDRT).
- CDRT Budget Committee Chair, 1986-1987.
- AlaLA Technical Services Roundtable (TSRT).
- TSRT Moderator, 1982-1983.
- TSRT Moderator-Elect, 1980-1981
- TSRT Nominating Committee, 1984-1985.
- AlaLA Junior Members Roundtable (JMRT).
- JMRT Secretary, 1977-1978.
- JMRT Bylaws Committee, 1977-1978.
- JMRT Local Arrangements Committee, 1975-1976 and 1978-1979.
American Society for Information Science and Technology (ASIST), 1984-Present.
- 2014 Winner of Watson Davis Award.
- ASIST Treasurer, 2007-2016.
- Chair, Budget & Finance Committee, 2007-2016. Member, 2003-2007.
- Member, Program Committee for ASIST 2013 Annual Meeting.
- Represented ASIST at the ALA Professional Options Fair for Spectrum Scholars at ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans, June 23, 2011.
- Member, ASIST Task Force on the RFP Assessment for JASIS, 2007-2008.
- SIG Cabinet Director (Board-level position), 2003-2007.
- Deputy SIG Cabinet Director (Board-level position), 2001-2003.
- Ex Officio Member, Leadership Committee, 2003-2005.
- Ex Officio Member, Awards and Honors Committee, 2004-2007.
- Ex Officio Member, Membership Committee, 2002-2005.
- Member, Conference Committee, 2003-2006.
- Member, Conference Committee, 2003-2006.
- Member, Institutional Membership Task Force, 2003.
- Member, SIG Publication of the Year Jury, 2003-2004.
- Chair, SIG of the Year Award Jury, 2005-2007.
- Member, SIG of the Year Award Jury, 2002-2007.
- Member, ASIS ISI Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Award Jury, 2000.
- Chair, SIG-LAN, 2000-2001
- Chair-Elect, SIG-LAN, 1999-2000.
- Chair, Nominating Committee, SIG-LAN, 1999-2000.
- Chair, Florida Chapter of ASIS, 1998-1999.
- Chair-Elect, Florida Chapter of ASIS, 1997-1998.
American Society of Indexers, 1994-2001.
Association for Caribbean University and Research Librarians (ACURIL), 2000-Present.
- Member, Conference Planning Committee, 2010-2011
- General Rapporteur, 2011 Conference in Tampa, FL.
- Member, Publications and Documentations Subcommittee, 2010-2011.
Association for Computing Machinery, 1999-Present.
Association for Library and Information Science Education, 1987-Present.
- Member, ALISE Program Committee for 2013 Conference (Reviewer for Juried Panels)
- Chair, ALISE Nominating Committee, 2006-2007. Member, 2008-2009.
- ALISE School Representative, 1999-Present.
- Member, 1995 Convention Planning Committee.
Florida Association of Media Educators, 2012-Present
Florida Library Association (FLA), 1988-Present.
- ALA Councilor on Florida Library Association Board, 2005-2008.
- Director, Florida Library Association, 2001-2003.
- Member, FLA Conference Planning Committee, 1999-2001.
- Liaison, FLA Minority Recruitment Committee, 1999-2001.
- FLA Liaison for Florida Chapter of ACRL, 1988-1996.
- Member, FLA Scholarship Committee, 1991-1993.
IEEE Computer Society, 2002-2914.
North American Serials Interest Group, 1988-2006.
REFORMA, National Association to Promote Library and Information Service to Latinos and the Spanish-Speaking, 1999-Present.
Society of Alabama Archivists, 1985-Present.
Society of Florida Archivists, 1999-2007.
Southeastern Library Association (SELA), 1976-Present.
- Member, Charles Beard Award Committee, 2011-2015.
- Member, Awards-Resolutions Committee, 2006-2008.
- Member, Rothrock Award Committee, 2002-2006.
- Member, Outstanding Southeastern Author Awards Committee, 2000-2002.
- SELA Executive Board, 1986-1988.
- SELA Resources and Technical Services Section (RTSS) — Chair, 1986-1988.
- Vice-Chairman/Chairman-Elect, 1984-1986.
- Chair, Program Committee, 1984-1986.
- Chair, Nominating Committee, 1986 and 1990.
Special Libraries Association (SLA), 1991-2009.
- SLA Career Counselor, 1994.
Suncoast Information Specialists, 1994-Present.
- Member, Nominating Committee, 1996.